Monday, August 2, 2010

Of bluebirds and a birthday

 
How can it be August already?  It seems like only a short time ago that spring had just begun and we were planting our flowers and garden.  It has been so very hot that I've noticed that the birds aren't as active as they usually are.  We have bluebird houses in the back yard and I've always enjoyed watching them, but haven't really seen as many bluebirds as in previous years.  The goldfinches are more scarce at the feeder this time of year, but once in a while I would see an Indigo Bunting, a bird that is mostly blue, but haven't seen him this year.  I hope my feathered friends are surviving this hot summer.  

A birthday party was held Saturday for my father-in-law.  He turned 86.  


The birthday party was held at the family farm.  His three children and their spouses were there along with 4 of his 6 grandchildren, including my 2 children.  A nephew and his family came by for a visit.  It was a nice day and G'pa enjoyed sitting outside for most of the day in the shade where he could look out over part of the farm.  We enjoyed a meal of KFC, sliced tomatoes, spinach salad and, of course, birthday cake and ice cream!  G'pa really enjoyed his day.
 
Time to get ready for the first day of my 3 day work week.  Have a good Monday! 

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. It sounds as if it was a very happy time all together on the farm to honor the day. Happy Birthday to your father-in-law! Neat cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and family time. I always feel uplifted when I read your blog and all of awesome pictures that you have on it.
    Blessings to you! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw many finches earlier in the season, but I guess it is too hot for them to be flitting about right now. Happy Birthday to your FIL. 86 ! Wow !

    Stay cool in this awful heat. Hope you aren't going anywhere near Columbia with all the bikers descending on them.

    Later

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love birthdays, especially other peoples birthdays!! what a fun day - 86 years young! The cake is adorable, did you make it? It's always fun to celebrate, and it sounds like he is a great man.

    I can't believe it's August either! Where did the summer go! My garden is at least a month behind, I'm just barely picking zucchini and cucumbers! Some of my little birds have "flown the coup", but I still hear lots of chatter in the trees!

    Thanks for stopping by to say Hi - it's always so good to hear from you! We did not eat the fish - we were going to, but the days just got away from us! I think Jessica and Ben brought them home to eat for dinner. (hope I get invited :0))

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete