Monday, December 5, 2011

I love this place

We went to Branson for the Thanksgiving holiday and one of our very favorite places to visit there is Silver Dollar City.  For those of you who haven't heard of SDC, it is an old time theme park featuring attractions and rides, shows, restaurants and craft shops with demonstrating craftsmen.   At Christmas, the park is decked out in over 4 million lights and is considered one of the country's most popular and best decorated tourist destinations at Christmas.  Here is a bit of a blurry photo of the walkway from the parking lots to the entrance, I wanted you to see how pretty the entrance is. 

After you enter the park, you're on Main Street and greeted by this huge tree that turns colors and different patterns in time to the music.  We love hearing "Carol of the Bells."

 Another shot of the tree and area. 

Before walking too far, we stopped at the old cabin, McHaffies Homestead, where the Homestead Pickers were playing and telling stories.  I love their music and humor. 

Leaving the McHaffie Homestead, we headed on down Hugo's Hill.  All the shops are covered in lights and it is just beautiful.  The park covers several acres and this is just one small section of it.   

 
We stopped at the train station and took a train ride which stops at Grandpa's place to hear him tell the Christmas story.  To see a better photo of the train at the station, go here.

Here's Grandpa...I think he's looking right at my camera!  On the hillside behind him are the Three Wise Men, the Manger Scene, the Star of Bethlehem, etc, that are lit up during Grandpa's telling of the Christmas story.  

This is a small sampling of what you will see around the park.  The blue tree was gorgeous with lights that simulated snow falling.  The building in the lower right corner houses the Fudge/Candy Shop and is filled with the most delicious looking treats.  They have candy making demonstrations there, too.  I couldn't walk away without a small box of divinity and some fudge!  

I love this place at Christmas, spring and fall are great times to go, too.  Summer time is wonderful, if you're young and don't mind the heat!  Missouri summers are very hot and humid and these ole legs wear out from walking up and down the hills here.  I'd rather have chillier temps in the winter time!  Speaking of being chilly, the second night we went to SDC, we had chili in a bread bowl and ate it by a fireplace.  We then had their famous apple dumplings with cinnamon ice cream a little later on for dessert.  There is so much delicious food for sale all around the park at various concession stands as well as the restaurants and the smells are very tantalizing. 

So there you have it, my 2011 SDC Old Time Christmas experience.  We've been going there the last several years and as long as my knees hold out, I hope to keep going.  I hope you get to go someday if you haven't already.  It's really a beautiful experience!

Until next time...

24 comments:

  1. As long as I have lived in Arkansas, I have never gone to Branson! My mother has and loves it! Your photos convince me that I really want to go there now! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, you have just sealed the deal and sold me on a trip to Branson! Every time you post about it I get to wanting to go. LOL! So... now, to find a time and a way to get there! LOL! blessings to you and yours ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went to SDC. It is an awesome place any season, I think. The lights make the place wonderful.

    I went last year, but don't think I will this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Cheryl! and your night time photos of the lights are stunning! Branson and Silver Dollar City are magical places for the holidays! What a grand trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing lights there. wow. i like the two buildings in the last photo. and sure and glad i don't have to pay their electric bill. it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. the lights are phenomenal! thanks for sharing them! it's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You get to do all the fun things!! I am green with envy....

    They sure did go out of their way with all the lights,.. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to get in the holiday spirit. The lights were spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that I get to go someday, too. It sounds like a wonderful way to kick off the holiday season. I'd love to hear Grandpa tell the Christmas Story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We spent our honeymoon at SDC and have been going back every chance we get ever since. We did the Christmas experience last year. It is so beautiful all decorated like that. And The Homestead Pickers were so much fun. I want to go back!

    Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see all those lights! Love the Christmas decorations....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your fun trip with us!!
    We've never been there, and it was so much fun to see your pictures and read about all the fun stuff that there is to see and do.
    We certainly need to get there one day to see it for ourselves!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Branson at Christmas! The lights are beautiful! =)

    I like the idea of a four season barn collage, but I haven't taken the pics for that... but it's a thought for next year! LoL! =) Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why you keep going back. It's so beautiful! You did a great job sharing this experience with us. Great photos and info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go there every Christmas - you are so lucky! I want to go there.

    The lights were A W E S O M E ! I would love to take the kids there.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that just looks beautiful! And the chili in the bread bowl sounds really good also! Glad you had fun during your visit. I know other friends who love going there also! And you're right about the Missouri heat! I went to college in Springfield and it can be brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful! I have long said that I don't need a "white Christmas," lights are all I need to feel Christmas! THIS is Christmas. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This all looks just amazing!!! My favorite picture is the second one of that big, gorgeous tree!! But I also love the blue tree and the flag of lights. Wish I could have gone in the sweet shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that is beautiful and how fun! And the food, oh my gosh, sounds so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just looking at the pictures and 'hearing' your enthusiasm makes me want to visit. :)
    It sounds like a wonderful place to get in the Christmas spirit.
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that was a spectacular walk through! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh it looks so great in pictures, I can only imagine how fabulous it is in person. Someday I hope to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure I've shared with you before that the person who I rent from who lives upstairs is a craftsman at SDC and has been working quite a bit this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the lights there. So pretty. It would be a fun place to visit and I hear it's a popular spot.

    ReplyDelete