Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday thoughts...

It's Friday!  And Sunday is the first day of Spring!!  A day we've all been waiting for and especially for those of us who have just gone through an exceedingly long, cold and snowy winter.   And did you know that Saturday's full moon will be the biggest in almost 20 years?  It will be what is called a super "perigee moon."  When it's at perigee, the moon is about 31,000 miles closer to earth!  This full moon will rise in the east at sunset and should look especially big at that time.  Try to get a look at it as it won't happen again until 2029.  I hope to, but it's calling for rain here. 

My heart is so saddened by the troubling and terrible events going on all over world right now and in Japan in particular.  The stories are so heartbreaking, such as the 30 school children still waiting quietly in a classroom for their parents to pick them up, or the father who walked 8 miles to get his children some water, or the rescuer who returned home only to find his whole family gone.  There are many other stories and images that will not be soon forgotten. 

I am in awe of the dignity of the people of Japan and the respect they show their fellow man.  You do not read stories of looting or angry fighting breaking out among their people like I'm afraid would be all too common in our country.  Some of our people could learn some lessons in showing respect and being disciplined, if they just would.  I will be praying for the people of Japan and know that you are also.  

Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. I have just come from Pat's (Mille Fiori Favoriti) where she and her family are hoping that the moon will help encourage a grandson's birth along.

    I had no idea that the moon was going to be that much closer to the earth! Should be impressive if we can see it.

    Yes, the stories from Japan are both horrific and heartwarming. They are an amazing people and many prayers go their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great facts on the full moon to share with the grandkiddos. I knew full moon was gettin' close 'cause it was castin' shadows last night.

    Yes, my heart and prayers are with the dear people in Japan.

    God bless and have a beautiful weekend sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you; I wish that we were more respectful in this country.
    We to are praying for the people of
    Japan.
    I am looking forward to see the full moon. Hope to take some pictures of it; if we can see it.
    A lovely post, thanks.
    Blessings! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Japan is in great need of our prayers. Several years ago, we had an exchange student from Japan...Have since lost contact with her...My heart is heavy and I wish we knew of her whereabouts...

    can't wait to see the moon...gotta get my camera charged...
    Have a good weekend...
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to all of your post, Cheryl... We walked out to the golf course fairway tonight --and saw the moon. WOW... Hope we can see it again tomorrow night...

    Yes---the stories in Japan are horrible... SO SAD---But---what a wonderful people they are. We certainly could learn something from them in our country... You are SO SO right..

    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping for clear skies on Saturday evening...I don't know, though.

    The horrifying/heartwarming/heartbreaking stories just keep coming from the tragedy in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be checking the moon out tonight, I am hoping there is not a cloud filled sky. It seemed very bright last night from the porch but I was too pooped to go take a peek.

    Respect. That is what the people in Japan are all about. We absolutely could learn some valuable lessons from the Japanese people about respect, consideration and the good side of pride. Our prayers are with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that about the moon, Cheryl. Thanks for the heads up.

    I, too, am saddened by the troubles of the people of Japan. They are such a proud nation.

    Take care and have a beautiful Missouri weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info about the moon. I will definitely be watching.
    Yes, you are so right, we could all learn disaster behavior from the Japanese. They are an amazing people that are in my heart and prayers.
    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since it is now Monday, the moon has come and gone. I did pop my head out the door for a peek, but it was covered in clouds.
    It is so hard to comprehend the devastation that is happening in Japan. You are so right about the dignity the Japanese people are showing through all of this. There are lessons to be learned from them.

    ReplyDelete