Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Before and After


It's hard to believe that this is the same house we bought 2 years ago!  I walk in and look around and say "wow", even if we did do most of the work ourselves.  My daughter did a terrific job decorating, too.  Before, I get into the many before and afters that I promised to show, I have to say a word or two about our memorable Christmas.  

The tree above is one of several in my daughter's home.  We barely got finished in time for her to move in, but she is fast and had already planned where everything would go and had her Christmas decor ready to put together.  We had our traditional pizza at her home Christmas Eve and opened her gifts there and then went to our house to exchange more gifts and watch a movie and play card games.  Christmas Day was spent at home and I fixed a brisket, potatoes, corn in the Crock-pot, salad, rolls and a couple of pies.  We watched another movie and played more cards. 

In spite of everyone either sick, recovering from being sick or being very tired, we still had a wonderful Christmas!  Yes, I did get what laid BG low for a week just before Christmas.  Fortunately, I recovered just in time to finish up everything.  Our son was battling a virus when he came in, but he was able to stay with us for a few days and it was great to have him at home.  He was feeling much better by the time he went back to KC.

I still have my 2 trees and will keep them up until the 6th at least since I didn't get them up and decorated as early as I usually do.  My house always looks so bare when I take them down.  Now, on to the photo overload....ha!  Yes, I have a lot of photos.  But, I'll try to keep the words to a minimum.  Here we go....

Living Room - Before
Check out the hearth, ugh!  The tile was covered
and the sides were surrounded with oak.
 Living Room - After

 Another LR - After

Kitchen - Before 
We took out the w/d hookups and redid the
wall.  The deck outside was redone.

 Kitchen wall - After
(Ignore my purse hanging on the chair!)

 Another Kitchen After
We had to piece in the hardwood
flooring where they had a thick threshold covering 
a place where they must have taken out a wall.  You can
see it in the lower right of the photo.

 Another Kitchen After  
Kim fixed supper that night for us.
Hallway - Before 
We took out the floor register
and replaced with oak hardwood flooring.

Hall - After
There is another hallway leading
to the basement stairs, you can see a glimpse of 
the hall beyond leading to the basement door.  We
also put in a new attic access at the end of this hall
instead of having it in a bedroom closet.

Bedroom No. 1 - Before
This room wasn't in such bad shape until we had to
tear out walls for the rewiring.  The door goes out
to the spare room that is at the end of the deck.  That
room is still to be finished and it will be Kim's office.

Walls had to be taken out in some of the rooms in
order to see where old wires went and replace them with
new.  This is in the alcove in bedroom No. 1.

Bedroom No. 1 - After
The wall behind the bed is painted a dark blue as seen
in the mirror.  Kim plans to make a planked headboard for the 
wall behind her bed.  The star is a Christmas gift to be hung on
the deck wall.

   Bathroom - Before

Bathroom - After
Everything was replaced in this room and the stool
moved across the way making a bit more room.

Another Bathroom After
That is a closet to the left of the vanity.  

Bedroom No. 2 - Before
This room didn't need a lot done to it until some
of the walls had to have holes cut out to find/run wires.
Hardwood floors in all rooms were stripped and 
redone.

Bedroom No. 2 - After

Another Bedroom No. 2 After

Deck - Before

Deck - After
Since this photo was taken the middle of last year,
some of the soffits were replaced, power washing was
done on the concrete and the steps have been painted.

I hope you enjoyed this little tour of what I've been calling The Project now known as Kim's house since she is renting it now.  At times it seemed like we would never get finished.  And, it's really not completely finished.  The spare room will get finished soon, I hope, but it's very livable until then.  The basement was gutted and needs to be redone.  Painting outside still needs to be done, too.  

Kim still has wall decor to hang, drapes to purchase and many other little things to get to complete her new home, but she's moved in and loves it.  She already has had friends in and they love it, too. 

Now on to other projects.  First up...a few books to read while I rest up.  Then I have some rooms I want to redo here.  And dare I say it?  Purging.  It seems that many are talking about it now.  Something I desperately need to do!  We'll see how it goes.  How about you?  Any big projects coming up this year?

Happy Wednesday to you!
xo Cheryl

17 comments:

  1. Cheryl, this is amazing!! What a transformation and what fabulous work you all have done!

    I think you have earned the right to sit with your feet propped up for a bit. Just be sure to sit at "Kim's house" so you can look around and see the fruits of your labors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks fantastic. You have all done so much work! Kim now has a beautiful, new home 🏡. Oh doesn't that style press back chair lend itself to acting like a purse hook?! I do that, too. Right now, I'm drying gloves on one.

    Don't think you are off the hook for showing other afters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! The rooms looked so bad, and the paint colors were so iccky. You have turned it into a totally different house. Like those shows on T.V. where houses get remodeled by a professional. The bathroom is a tremendous difference! Your floors are beautiful, and I love the choice of wall colors. Thanks for the tour, it was just like watching a home makeover show! You are really talented at this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. We have a vent in or wood floor just like yours. We hate it, it is not connected to anything. How did you do this project? We have been wanting to for over 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl...oh my goodness this is gorgeous! You all did an amazing job.. Wow, you should be so proud of yourselves. And the color of each wall is just beautiful! (I think whoever owned it before needs to take a lesson from Kim...lol She has very...very good taste!! Now the flooring..I would never had noticed the change in the planks...so matching that wood was perfect. Be proud of yourselves and yes take a much needed rest!!!!

    Happy New Year! (No resolutions here...just hopefully doing better with my blogging !!!)

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. the project turned out absolutely PERFECT! I love everything you did and her decorating is my taste. no clutter just beauty. her trees are amazing... the bathroom is also amazing in the after... congrats on a job very well done....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful labor of love the project has turned out to be. The before and after pictures are amazing. What a transformation and to think you all did the work yourselves. I am so impressed. Fantastic job! Kim's decorating skills are also amazing. I wish her many years of happiness in her new home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. I have followed along and seen pieces of the project but the total transformation is amazing. You need your own reality TV show. Just an awesome job. Be proud--all of you.
    Time for a lot of "me" time I think or perhaps "we" time for all involved. Relax, smile and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Wow, you really transformed that place and turned it into a home. You daughter is one lucky woman!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. this feels like an episode of HGTV! lol it looks wonderful! happy for you all!
    happy new year!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!

    Wow, what a transformation! You guys worked really hard, but it was all worth it in the end, it's gorgeous!

    So glad that you had a great Christmas and a wonderful new year!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year!! hope you & your family have a blessed one!! i love the re-do photos ... what fun to see the changes. i love the Christmas tree ... the glow is just lovely. hope you are well. take care. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a PROJECT it was. You guys did a GREAT job. Looks like home for Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Project turned out very well. I like all the trees as well.I actually do have a project, but my son has offered to do the work. He will paint my kitchen cupboards, which are now stained brown wood.They will be white, then he wants to refinish the countertops and put in a backsplash.I will feel like I have a brand new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent job on The Project, Cheryl!! LOVE the floors. It does seem to go on and on, doesn't it? LOL! One thing leads to another... and another. ;) Such a wonderful thing to restore a home... it seems to give new life to the ones who do it and who inhabit it as well. Restoration. Good for the soul.

    Your Christmas meal sounds so good. I'm glad you are all feeling better. Our family still has some bugs going around and I'm ready for them to be GONE.

    Yep, I think you definitely deserve to prop your feet up and relax. Great job on The Project! blessings and hugs ~ tanna
    PS I'm going to have to find Quiet. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I did so enjoy this...wonderful job. And beautifully decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I came over to visit and found myself reading your other posts that I have missed lately! All I can say is WOW...what a beautiful transformation! Your home looks absolutely wonderful! I have a table and chairs exactly like yours in your kitchen. Right now we are using the table but with other chairs. Ours are in some need of some Gorilla glue:) I had this idea that I am going to start using them after we get our wood floors in a week or so. I am going to paint them black and distress them and also the base of the table. The top of the table needs to be refinished (I am using a table cloth now) but plan on sanding it and refinishing with a natural finish. I saw this look on Pinterest and really think I will like it on the new wood floors...the black with break up all the wood colors I think. I dread the mess that comes with home improvements but the end result will certainly be worth it!

    ReplyDelete