Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Tree


I think that I shall never see/A poem lovely as a tree

That is a quote from a poem that most of us probably remember from our school days.  I have always loved trees and this particular one is on the road from my town to the small town where my father lived in his later years.  I would pick him up and take him back down this highway to another small town where he loved to get his hair cut or just for a ride past the farm he lived on for so many years or maybe to our house for lunch.  Anyway, we would be passing this tree on the trip.  Each time, without fail, he would comment on the lovely shape of this tree.  It became known to us as "dad's tree".  Even though dad has been gone now for 6 years, I still think of him when we travel down this highway and pass this stately tree.  It will forever be "dad's tree".  The picture above was taken last spring and the picture below was taken last summer.  


Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Isn't it funny how things like a tree, will bring back such precious memories. I'll bet you loved that time you spent with your father. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. We lost our dad Sept. 04...but it seems like just a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful... Maybe you can put a plague on it or a little trinket of his...

    http://polwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful meaningful post. It made me think of the trees I have been drawn too since my childhood I still live in the same town) Your posthas made me thin about photographing them and documenting their significance in my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Kathy and Hilary, come back and visit any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, I'm so sorry you lost your father. I'm sure your memories will be a source of comfort for you as mine are for me.

    Barb, my dad was something else! I wish I were half the storyteller he was...I just wish I'd had the sense to take notes or record some of his stories.

    ReplyDelete