Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Tuesday's This and That




We've been alternating between the a/c and the heat the past several days.  It's really chilly today and the wind has picked up as it usually does in the fall.  Since I last posted, we've had 2 nice rains.  

My daughter and I went to the Big Town last Friday as she had a meeting that afternoon.  We did a bit of shopping and it started to sprinkle on us as we left for home.  The few raindrops didn't last long and it was odd to see a rainbow in the east and the sun shining brightly again in the west.  I captured part of the fast fading rainbow as we stopped for a soda on the way.


Our son came in Friday night for the weekend.  Our daughter and her friend, Mike, were going to Hermann for the day Saturday, so we (hubby, son and I) decided to get in the car and take a little day trip, too.


We ended up in a little town called Cole Camp which has a bit of a German heritage.  The town's population is only around a 1000 and has several quaint houses and buildings.  They host several festivals there.  The shop in the photo above has 3 stories of interesting merchandise.  


Just down the street, a new shop has opened with a wine bar on one side and a gift shop on the other.  Another shop I peeked into was even smaller, just one room with a coffee bar, a few tables for sitting, and shelves filled with antique dishes and whatnots. 

  
We got there a little late in the afternoon and didn't have time to check out all the shops before they closed, but I'll be going back again.  I hadn't been there in over 30 years since our son was in a Punt, Pass and Kick competition and the town is even more charming than I remembered. 

They have a German eatery which I wanted to try but it wasn't open yet, so we opted for the pizzaria.  Yum!  I have to say it was unanimous among the 3 of us that it was some of the best pizza we've ever had!  


This tree lives in Cole Camp.  It was a nice warm, but very windy day.  Almost too warm.  And that brought in a lot of rain Saturday night.  The trees in our area don't have a lot of pretty color this year.  A few are very pretty, but most will go from green to brown.  Our daughter said the trees around Hermann are just brown.  

How are the trees looking in your area?  
 
 
Yesterday, BG had a stress test done along with an echocardiogram and another little test that I can't remember what the name of it was.  It took a while for all of that to get done.  By the time we got home, we were both ready for a nap.

If I had known how long I would be waiting in the waiting room, I would have gone out shopping.  :)  I read every magazine of which there were few for women and read the news on my phone until the battery got too low.  

I would stand up and gaze out the window and one time in the restroom before going back out to the waiting room, I decided to amuse myself by taking a couple of selfies.  

After a closer look at the photo I put in my last post of BG and I at the wedding, I decided that I needed to remember to hold my chin out in order not to emphasize the double chin and sagging neck.  And sucking in the cheeks might help too.  No?  lol!     

Well, after sitting down and thinking about it all, I decided that nothing will stop the aging process.  Expensive creams might help a bit, but sagging chins, lines, wrinkles and crepey skin are something most of us will have in time.  Staying in good health, in as much is possible, is want I want to do for as long as I can.  And BG, too, of course.  

I saw some very unhealthy looking folks coming into the heart diagnostic center.  I wondered what caused that.  I'm beginning to become more of a believer in eating right and exercise.  The latter is something I need to work on.  I've always liked veggies and fruit, but I know that I've consumed too many sugary drinks.  Now, I've cut out the sugar due to the onset of Type 2 diabetes.     

We haven't heard anything back yet from BG's doctor, so we're thinking no news is good news as far as his test results go.  Hopefully nothing too drastic was found.

Btw, I used Orton editing in PicMonkey for my selfie photo.  I liked the color better.  What is your favorite photo editing site?  

Happy Tuesday to you!
xo Cheryl

22 comments:

  1. Please let us know the results of the tests. But you are right, no news is good news. If they find something bad, you will hear the next day. Your selfie is pretty, and I like your hair. This little town looks adorable!! I would love to shop in the store. My favorite editing site is probably Luna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your fading rainbow looks like a rare pink rainbow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Picmonkey. It serves my needs well. Same here with the air on during the day and the heat on at night. Probably in a few weeks it will just be the heat.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a fun post. I enjoyed feeling like I was there with you. For photo editing on my phone I use Adobe Lightroom,and often just the editor that comes with the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a good time on shopping.Let the results be normal. Take care of your health...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping for good test results. Keep us posted. Pizza sounds so good and I love all the little shops you mentioned. You'll have to go back and see even more! I think you look wonderful; I eat pretty healthy but I need to work on exercising more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a PicMonkey ADDICT. I love it best of all, I use a few others but only once in a while. I like photoshop and have that but PM is my fav. hope all the test come back good. I have done the same selfie thing in a mirror, stretch the neck, bend forward, anything to change what I see in that mirror... my tablet and phone have something called beauty face, it smooths the lines. of course we know they are still there. nothing to be done about aging for sure. at least all my friends are aging with me. the good news is our eyes age and we can't see the wrinkles as well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great pictures (including the selfie) and I have never really used anything other than PicMonkey. Honestly, I don't know what Orton is so I have to look into that...where HAVE I been?!
    Yes- aging is not fun but the alternative is not appealing...lol...so guess I will love my lines, wrinkles and extra chins/skins.
    Have a great Wednesday, Cheryl. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aging is sadly a fact of life, and while it doesn't thrill me either, Cheryl, the alternative is much worse. So I try to ignore the flappy neck skin and smile and be happy to be here to take a selfie! Thanks for sharing yours too. I don't use any editing software mostly because I am a bit lazy. I would also have enjoyed exploring that small town and finding a good pizza place is always a plus! And seeing a rainbow is always wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I have trouble with my blood sugar also (have for years).. That's why I buckled down and lost weight and started exercising several years ago ---along with eating right... I find that keeping the weight off is harder for me than losing it to begin with... I loosen up and start eating things I shouldn't and not getting enough exercise, etc...It's an ongoing battle for me ---and as I continue to work on this, I just keep getting OLDER and find more and more aches and pains... HA

    Recently, I had lots of HIP pain (which prevents me from walking or hiking). Went to the doctor and after XRays, he said I have Bursitis in that hip. Luckily, there's no arthritis... SO--he put me on Prednisone (which has helped it). HOWEVER, one big side effect of Prednisone is that it raises your blood sugar levels... Mine DOUBLED.... Scary!!!!! We can't win in this crazy life, can we?

    Hope your hubby is okay... Mine has Bronchitis now --so he's struggling some...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do hope all his tests say he is good to go. I had my first Echo yesterday and am awaiting the results. Like you, no news is good news. I think you are right about diet and exercise. We have so much control over our health but seldom take advantage. So glad you are on board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope all the tests come back good for your husband. I think it is very smart to be checking these things before an event.

    I agree on the aging thing. I reached that decision a few years ago! We have to just stay healthy and active and enjoy life and let the sags fall where they may and the wrinkles likewise. I do watch some of these ads showing before and after using these new miracle creams for wrinkles though..................

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl..as always this is a wonderful post! Love the rainbow! So glad you and your daughter had some time together! And your day trip looked like so much fun! I always loved doing that.. just makes for a fun day!! And to see something new and different!!i I'm praying that the BG's tests turn out okay... I know what you mean about aging...lol I will be putting up some photos of our leaves/trees, they are changing...but they are changing really fast.. by the way ...I also use PicMonkey...I love it!!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful rainbow Cheryl, Mother, daughter days are always so special. I also love small quaint towns, we have one nearby that has lots of antique stores, I am due for a visit soon~wink~
    I feel the same about aging, and find it hard to take selfies. I will be praying that BG's test is okay.
    Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your selfie is adorable! I, too, use PicMonkey. It has lots of fun features. It takes me a while to learn new programs, so why go looking for something else?

    Cole Campy looks like a quaint town, full of hidden treasures!

    Praying that your husband's test results are good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really loved the photo of the rainbow. I enjoyed all the photos of your trip to the little quaint town. I know I would enjoy going in and out of the shops there. I love older towns. I am happy that the Pizza was the best too. I do love Pizza and enjoy a good place. I am happy that you get some great moments with your children and husband.
    We too have had weather going cold and then warm. We have had some wind and rain. Today was lovely.
    I have often had to wait for my husband to have tests on his heart and circulation. He has had some major health issues but always seems to do well. He had a heart attack at age 45 and a double by-pass at age 46. He then has had blood clots and etc. However, that being said he just seems to do well after each of these. I will be praying that your dear hubby is doing well.
    I to believe that eating good and exercise is key. We haven't been that good at exercising but I am working harder at it. I had back problems and have been in PT so I must repent and do my exercises as I should.
    I too am getting very old; older than you. Those wrinkles and etc just seem to be multiplying. I decied to try not to care so much. By the way I thought you selfie was cute. It was fun to see it. I use Pic Monkey for editing my photos; and I really like their program.
    Have a great rest of the week dear friend. Sending love and hugs your way! .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having spent a lot of time in a waiting room recently while my sister had some tests, I found the description of how you spent your time fun. I was able to finish a crocheting project and then spent the rest of my time twiddling my thumbs when I could have been taking selfies and pondering life’s wrinkles. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Your excursion with the family sounds like a wonderful day and your weather sounds very up and down. Hope that you find more fall foliage than you think. 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun and interesting post, Cheryl! It is a fact that we can spend so much of our time waiting, especially anything medical related. The little towns you visit sounded like fun...I know I saw a couple of things I would love to get my hands on! I love places like this. Your selfie is so cute. I have quite a few pics that I have tried out selfies on myself, most never see the light of day...lol! It sounds like we have been experiencing very similar weather but I do think our summer has nearly ended...it is getting quite chilly here...and you know I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made me chuckle about the selfies.
    Your small town adventure sounded like fun. I would love to come with you when you go again. Cute shops to peek around in, fun, fun!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your sweet comment! You should go to London with some girlfriends. My husband doesn't like to travel much either, though he did do this trip with our son. London is awesome!

    ReplyDelete