Thursday, July 2, 2015

An Up and Down Week, So Far



This photo of Callie was taken the year she was born...2013. 


My sweet Callie girl slipped out the door Monday afternoon
and we haven't seen her since.  I saw her run north of our
house and have called the neighbors to ask if they had seen
her.  No one had.   I've searched and called to no avail.


She loved to sit on my lap and with the new kittens occupying
my time lately, she hasn't had the attention she was used to.  I
don't know if that has anything to do with her disappearing
act or not.  I'm sad and worried.  You can imagine all the thoughts
that run through my mind.  Did someone pick up her up or did
a coyote get her?  At least she hasn't been seen on the highway.


We've had a couple of storms move through since Monday.  I do
hope Callie found shelter. 

Many farmers in the area haven't gotten all their soybeans planted yet.   And of course there is the water standing in some of the fields that has damaged some of the corn already planted.   I'm sure the farmers have much more to worry about than a missing kitty.


As the world gets more troubling and life gets busier, even worrisome at times, simple pleasures are all the more important to me.  Enjoying a tall glass of iced tea while sitting in the shade of my patio and gazing at the pretty flowers, cuddling a sleepy, purring kitten on my lap, reading a good book while listening to the rain fall against the window panes, or watching the sun set.  These are just a few simple pleasures I enjoy.  What about you?  What are some of your simple pleasures? 

 

Eating comfort food is a simple pleasure.  A meal of mashed
potatoes and roast beef is a favorite of mine.  I don't like to use the oven very often in the summer, so I will share a stovetop recipe that my dear aunt gave me a few years ago.  It has become my favorite way of fixing a rump roast.  



This recipe came from my aunt's mother-in-law and I call it Mammy's Roast.  Marie, aka Mammy as her grandson called her, was an excellent cook and baker.  She made the best angel food cakes with that delicious fluffy white icing.  I haven't ever forgotten how wonderful they were.   

Mammy's Roast

1.  In a heavy dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings or oil.
2.  Generously sprinkle a rump roast on all sides with Lawry's Seasoning Salt and cover with flour.
3.  Place salted and floured roast into the hot bacon drippings.  Brown on all sides, turning frequently so it won't burn.
4.  Remove the roast once it's browned.  Add 2 or more tablespoons of flour to the drippings and stir, making a good paste.  Add more salt, and pepper, as desired. 
5.  Add water to make a thin gravyIt will thicken as it cooks.
6.  Place the rump roast into the gravy and turn the burner down to a slow cooking stage.  Spoon a little gravy over the top of the roast and cook 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of the roast, until tender.  Turn the roast every half hour.
7.  Remove the roast from the pan and let cool enough to slice.  The gravy is wonderful served with the roast and mashed potatoes!    

This is the best roast I've made and my daughter declares it her very favorite, too.  If you want a roast and don't want to turn on the oven, try this.  You'll love it or I'm not the Farmer's Daughter! 

Have Thursday to you!   
xo Cheryl 

37 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear your cat has disappeared,I do hope she comes home. all the 'simple' things you mentioned, I would also love escept the iced tea. Lvely sky shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she will find her way home soon.

    Love the sunflower. Mine just bloomed two weeks ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do hope that Callie finds her way back home, and soon. I can just imagine how concerned you are.

    Your pictures are so pretty! Yes, it is the simple joys in life that bring much happiness, esp. in this topsy turvy society that we live in.
    Gardening is my therapy. I love working in the yard in the summer time :)

    {{hugs}}
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lost a comment...not sure if this will fly...

    So sorry about Callie and praying she will find her way back. It's so hard not to have closure with escapees. That said, I am dealing with a skitzy calico and she is hopping on my last nerve. I will never have another!

    This has been a strange summer for us all. Hope that the farmers are able to redeem some of their crops. Thanks for popping in...I miss you when you are away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Callie's return is the best news of the morning! Yay!

      Delete
  5. so sorry Callie is missing, I prayed just now that she will return home to you... the whole world is being slammed with nature disasters... every country... not sure if this has changed or it it is because we have instant knowledge of it as it happens. anything that is free is a simple pleasure to me, flowers and trees and sky and woods, water views.. and especially the Gulf of Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope Callie will be found soon. sorry to hear that. sure is cloudy here today - wondering if we will get some rain or whatnot? happy 4th!! i can not believe how time is flying by. love your sunflower. so pretty. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope Callie comes home soon, sweet friend. I know how worrying that can be. We have had storms rumble through every day and looks like there are lots more to come. Hope you have a wonderful fourth. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful Callie. Sorry to hear she is missing. I will pray she is okay. Will be found perfect. I just did.as I left a comment now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, no! i hope little callie comes back safely! i hate that1

    and i hate when farmers have a tough season, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sad. I hope you find Callie eventually. She is one beautiful kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure hope she shows up soon. I know you are worried....how sweet she is! I have a roast in the crock pot right now. It already smells so good! Enjoy the holiday weekend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear that your Callie is missing. Just a few days ago our newest kitten (a beautiful orange color) went missing... It is the simple things in life that are the most important.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am praying for Callie, also. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope Callie comes home soon! We had a kitty went missing for about 30 days came back home skinny and hungry and meowing like crazy. WE looked for her for days. So don't give up! I knew of a cat that was missing for a whole year and came back.
    Simple pleasures...an Ice cream Sundae at DQ Cherry to be specific:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no!!!!! Pray Callie comes home very soon...Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sad over Callie. I hope she comes home. Saying a prayer she is save.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a similar thing happen with my cat in Florida. I took in some kittens that I was finding homes for when my cat disappeared. The day I found homes for the kittens, my cat came back looking really hungry and scrawny. I heard they will stay near but out of sight till the interlopers move on. Try to have some one else take care of the kittens for a few days to see if Callie will come home. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That roast sounds good even when I'm not at all hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although most people claim I am an excellent cook, roast is something I've always steered away from because I've never been all that happy with the outcome. Now this sounds like it may be very good - even when the temps are lower and you can use the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got sidetracked with the roast. Do hope you find your precious Callie soon. It is devastating to lose a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Callie...my heart just breaks for you and her. I am praying she will return safe and sound. Your roast looks so good...my grandmother always made her roast that same way. And yes, it was delicious too.

    Prayers and blessings,,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  22. You may be doing this, but I've heard that if you put her litter box outside a door that this will help kitties to find their way home. My 17 year old cat was gone for two days. There's a neighbor's intact tom cat that keeps fighting her. She's been spayed since she was a few months old, so I guess he's just mean. She's been an outdoor cat all of her life, so staying indoors always isn't what she wants. Anyway, she was gone three days. I found a lot of her fur on the grass, so I imagined the worst. Yesterday, she came home, thin, and limping. Hope Callie comes home soon. She's probably in a tree nearby (or bush) staring at you. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Cheryl, I am so saorry to hear about Callie...I pray she comes home soon! There is nothing to compare the desperation we feel when we jusy simply don't know where they are...I know how that feels.You are right about the simple things bringing so much joy. I love the same things...listening to it rain, for one, which it is doing here as we speak. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous too. I hope your sweet kitty comes home in time to make your July 4th all the more special!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am saying prayers for dear sweet Callie. I hope she is not lost forever. You must be heartsick. Your Mammy's Roast looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh dear...I pray that your dear Callie returns!! Pets can make you crazy, can't they? :/

    Your roast recipe looks delicious. My mom has always cooked hers on the stove top too, but yours has some different add-ins. Maybe I'll give this a try some warm day...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just want to say how thankful I am that Callie is safe and sound at home. Our prayers were answered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi There, I am glad that you reported today that Callie is home and okay... I know you were very upset.... SCARY out there I'm sure...

    Hubby and I now have FITBITS and are doing LOTS of walking ---getting the exercise we need at age 72-73..... We love to walk on the golf course right before dark --and it's so pretty out there then...

    I've had to quit watching the news simply because it is so depressing... I've been so worried about our country and its future.. Makes me cry. BUT---getting out in nature helps for sure.

    Your roast sounds awesome... YUM...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  28. So happy Callie is back and safe with you! You have made my day! I was so worried about her with the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just read the update, Cheryl, and glad that Callie is safely home. And, I agree with your comments about the unrest and my simple enoyments inckud reading or watching a classic and older film. But sometimes the best lasttime is just being outdoors and enjiying nature. Belayed 4th wishes to yiu and yiur famiky too. And that meal sou ds great...and so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just catching up with you. I am so happy you found the beautiful Callie. I have had some scares like that with a couple of dogs that we had. One got ran over and nearly broke my heart.
    I love reading about the simple things that you like to do; lovely thoughts. I always enjoy reading a good book while sitting outside. I do love nature. Your photos are always so beautiful. We enjoy watching old movies together too.
    Thanks for the recipe; this is my kind of comfort food.
    Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Cheryl, so glad Callie was found, Like you I am learning to savor simple pleasures! Hope you are enjoying your July 4th weekend.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I am so glad Callie was found safe! She is so precious.
    This is a really nice group of photos. I love the red sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  33. HI Cheryl ~ I'm just now getting caught up on your blog and saw that Callie was missing...but that you found her. Whew! That was really scary. I'm having to comment here on your older post because the new one says "new comments not allowed." ??? Your roast looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks like a "keeper recipe"!
    I can't wait to try it . . .
    Oh my . . . please Callie . . . come back home!!!

    ReplyDelete