Sunday, February 7, 2010

A chicken soup kind of day

Gosh, it's been a while since I've posted.  I love to read other's blogs and get so caught up in the interesting goings on and the wonderful pictures you share, the recipes, etc., that I run out of time to post on my own!  Do you do that?

I had to work an extra day this week and maybe will have to a few more weeks if we're busy enough.  The work has slowed down a bit, but another worker quit so we are short staffed.  I really like my job but I keep saying this will be my last year,  we'll see.  Since I only work 3 days (usually) a week, it's not too hard and I really like the people at the company...I will miss many of them when I do decide to leave.  Some have been there a long time.  One amazing woman retired at the age of  74!

This was a really lazy day for a Saturday.  Even our grown daughter, who has lived with us since her divorce, said that she felt like a lazy slug...LOL.  I told her that we were entitled to be lazy once in a while.  Tho, truth be told, I'm lazy quite a bit of the time anymore.  It's that age thing, right?  Anyway, the weather was gloomy today, no sun for us, and that doesn't help.  I did do a bit of cooking, made a pot of chicken soup and we had a huge breakfast/lunch of bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy.  All that artery clogging, but yummy, stuff!!

My chicken soup is very easy to make.  I took a package of chicken thighs that I had thawed and brought them to a boil and simmered about 30 minutes or so.  Then, I took them out of the broth and shredded the meat, returning the bones to the broth and simmered that for another 40-45 minutes.  Meanwhile, I chopped up a small onion, diced 3 carrots, and 3 stalks of celery.  After taking the bones out of the broth, I added the veggies and salt and pepper to taste, 2 tsp parsley flakes, a shake or two of garlic powder and 2 tsp of chicken base.  I let that cook about 10-15 minutes then added the shredded chicken and a 12 oz. pkg of Amish noodles (sorry, I forget the exact brand name) and simmered that for another 10 minutes or so until the noodles were done and it was ready to serve.  Easy and Yummy.  Very good on a chilly, gloomy wintery day. 

Are you into the Super Bowl and fix up tasty treats for family and/or friends?  I plan on fixing some 'lil smokies and the 7-layer dip for sure.  Don't know what else yet.  Will probably bake some brownies, too.  Gotta have something to satisfy that sweet tooth.  But to tell you the truth, I'd rather watch a good movie than the Super Bowl since Brett Favre isn't playing.  What good movies have you seen lately?

Okay, off now to look at a recipe or two.  Maybe while I'm baking those brownies tomorrow and the oven is on, I'll try out one of the new quick bread recipes that I've saved.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment