Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September Days


"Fall has always been my favorite season.  The time
when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature
had been saving up all year for the grand finale."
~Lauren DeStefano

It still feels like summer here, temperature-wise.  The weatherman says we may see some showers later today and tonight and then we'll cool down into the 70's tomorrow and the rest of the week.  Can't wait.

I had to go to the clinic yesterday to get my blood drawn in advance of my visit to the doctor tomorrow.  Here's hoping my A1C number isn't off the charts.  I'm afraid I haven't been very good this month with watching what I eat.  Not to mention I've put away a fair amount of iced tea...with sugar, of course.  

I'll blame some of the events of September for my pigging out. 


BG celebrated his 69th birthday this month.  We celebrate with food.  ☺  My guy is planning to keep working until he's 70 (sigh), so that means one more year to go.  He did the mandatory pole top rescue recently.  For new readers, he's been a lineman for a rural electric co-op for 40 years.  I'm happy he loves his job, but I'm ready to have him home to run around with me before we get too old.

I we had talked all year about going out west again for vacation this month but when it came down to making a final decision, BG really wanted to just go to Branson and not have to drive so much.  So that is what we did.  I love Branson, as most of you know, and I wasn't a bit unhappy with his choice.   We were there 10 wonderful days.  The weather was great, too, and much cooler than it is now.


Above are a few of the things we saw in Branson.  The view of the lake is from the deck of our condo.  The man-made waterfall is at SDC.  We saw some beautiful sunrises from the deck each morning and the moon rising each night.  

Our son joined us for a couple of days before he had to fly to California for a meeting.  One evening we played miniature golf.  I actually played really well this time and was only one or two holes behind the men.  Brett won in spite of BG's trash talking.  It was fun and I laughed so hard when the Big Guy's ball went in the water after all that talk about how he was the champ and was going to win.  I tried to help out with "don't choke!" when he was getting ready to hit the ball.  lol!   


We ate a lot of good food in Branson and tried out a new to us restaurant.  Have you ever eaten flash fried spinach?  It's light and crispy, almost melts in your mouth.  I liked it, but BG said he wasn't sure he'd want it again. 

We went again to Salt Grass for a mid-afternoon meal one day.  It's at one end of the Landing.  Afterward, we walked to the other end to the Bass Pro shop.  Along the way, I stopped in at Kirklands to look around.  I was tempted to buy a couple of fall items, but I didn't want to have to carry them around.  Actually, I was tempted by a lot of things there, I love that store.  

A lot of napping was done while on vacation and I really enjoyed just sitting on the deck and watching the boats on the lake.  Our condo is on a point of Table Rock lake in a wooded setting.  It was so quiet and peaceful.  I'm already missing being there.

It's time to push the Publish button and go run a couple of errands and do some laundry.  Hope your week is off to a good start and you're enjoying some nice fall days!

Happy Tuesday to you!
xo Cheryl

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to BG. Hubby is talking about retiring in a couple of years before he is 66, but I know when the time comes he will wait another year or more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, It has been a while, but I am going to try to be around a little more often. I love the fall of the year and hoping that I might get to go Branson this October, but with rehabbing a broken leg I don't know. A lot depends on the kids. I have enjoyed reading your blog and catching up with you. Hugs and Prayers from Your NW Missouri Friend. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a perfect 10 days, I prefer not much driving and not may people. we have not had a vacation since Jake came in 2005.. I am so glad bob took early retirement, he has now had 19 wonderful years to enjy life and he has. the bad news is the check shows it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Branson vacation sounds divine! The kind you DON'T come home tired from. Your moon shot is gorgeous! I have pigged out for months, and now have started my diet. It seems so much harder to eat right in the summer! Linesmen are so brave!!! Well, Phil has not been retired very long. We were getting to the point that if we waited any longer, we would be too old and sick to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make me want to visit Branson with your photos and descriptions. So glad that you had a relaxing time away eating, playing, shopping, and watching the world go by. I played miniature golf with my daughter and grandsons several weeks ago. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I know you will be glad when that retirement rolls around. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures from your trip are awesome - makes me want to go. I love Autumn and am anxiously awaiting cooler temps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your life is full of good things. Fall is a great time of year.I love all the color and the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rained here this morning. So envy you that condo on the lake!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your summer memories. Looking forward to Autumn with you.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to catch up with you, Cheryl! I love the quote - such a great way to think of fall.

    I'm thinking of how my husband wanted to take an early retirement. Not going to happen. He thrives on his work and personally, I didn't know what I'd do with him under foot all day!

    Branson has always sounded wonderful. I think we'd be about 4-5 hours away. No vacay this year with hubby's schedule. That's the bad thing about having your own business.

    I wish you well...I do my best in taking care of my health and then a restaurant or a busy day gets me off track. Fingers crossed for both of us!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo . . . sounds so relaxing. Why change it up when it works so well? :)

    I'm glad the weather cooperated too! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cheryl!

    Happy birthday to your sweet hubby!! You will be happy when he retires, it's the best!!

    I know what you mean about pigging out! I recently lost 20 pounds, but I am having a hard time keeping the scale where I want it... :0( It's hard to diet in the summer . . . and the fall . . . and the winter and spring . . . it's just hard!! Hope all your tests come back great!

    I loved your photos, the shot of the moon was gorgeous, seriously, just beautiful! I would love to go to, Branson some day, it sounds like such a fun place to visit . . . so much to do and see. You will be glad you didn't come here this summer. It was so smokey, especially up near, West Yellowstone, where most people like to visit. Come when there aren't as many wild-fires. It is beautiful in the west, but even on the west coast, it was so smokey, almost hard to breath.

    Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my...I immediately went and googled "flash fried spinach"...I have never heard of this before but it seems to be a "thing" because my search turned up a bunch of sites. I really want to try this! So glad you had a great vaca in Branson...maybe one day we will get there! Happy Fall, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to BG and congrats on his pulling off the pole top rescue. Doesn't sound easy. The flash fried spinach looks a lot like kale chips and since I don't have a fryer, think I will bake some and see how they do. How neat that you both love the same place to vacation. Easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the spinach looked interesting. happy birthday to your husband. glad you had a good time in branson.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved your autumn photo and thought; just lovely! I love the fun things you do when in Branson. Your view from the condo is so beautiful. Having 10 days there is awesome. I haven't heard of fried spinach before; it sounds good. I always enjoy miniture golfing and we need to go again. It's been a long time since we have did activities like this.
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete