Friday, October 22, 2010

Mysterious happenings....

What is a strange happenings post without a photo of a haunted house?  Well, to be honest, I'm not sure that this old vacant house that I took photos of the other day is haunted...but it makes a good prop!  Cue the scary music!  Woooooo!!!


Since Halloween is right around the corner and even tho I'm really not all that into Halloween, I still thought this might be a good time to share the story of some unexplained happenings here in my own house.  This may turn out to be rather long.  Hope you stick with me and let me know what you think!   I saved the strangest story for the end.

In recent years, we've been experiencing some strange sounds and happenings.  One night while I was at work and my daughter and husband were downstairs....she was at her computer desk and he was watching television.  They both heard what sounded like someone stepping down off of a chair, then scooted the chair across the upstairs bathroom floor.  Then after that they heard a door shut.  Both of them ran up the stairs to see what was going on, but saw nothing out of place.

Another time, while they were downstairs, they heard what sounded like someone walking down the hall.  Thinking I might have gotten home early, they came up the stairs to see me...but it wasn't me!  I was still at work.

Yet another time, my daughter was sitting in her computer chair at the desk and a cool breeze went by behind her and she caught a whiff of a floral perfume.

Both my children have heard music in the house, when there wasn't a tv on or music playing.  My son even walked around the house trying to determine where it was coming from....didn't find anything.  The neighbors were quiet, so it wasn't them...and their houses aren't real close to ours.

I've heard loud sounds in the bedroom.  Sometimes it sounds like a chain or something is sliding down the wall.  That is about the only way I know to describe it.

One night there was a loud crash, and the cat took off running.  Another time, she got spooked and her fur stood on end with her tail getting big.  There was nothing to be seen.

I think the strangest happening of all is the day I was getting ready for work.  I had showered and had opened my bottle of foundation preparing to put on my makeup.  Nature was calling, so I sat down the bottle of foundation and went around the corner...there is a half wall between the vanity and toilet...when I finished and went back to the sink to wash my hands, I noticed that there were drops of makeup on the floor.   Looking closer, I noticed that these drops were about the size of a nickel and were almost perfectly spaced in a row leading back to the wall between two closet doors opposite the vanity.  I had a plant stand with a plant next to the wall between the two doors...our bathroom is rather large...and there were some drops on the leaves, too.  Well, I had to go to work so in my haste I cleaned up the mess and finished getting ready and didn't think to take photos.   I was certainly very puzzled as to how that happened.   But when I got home and told my family, I showed them the drops still on the plant and a few had ended up veering off in another direction on the floor that I had overlooked while cleaning up the mess,  so they did believe me!  I am wondering to this day how that happened.  My hubby said I must have shaken the bottle.  No, I didn't and even if I had I would have had to have thrown the stuff over my shoulder, because the drops were directly behind where I was standing.  And how would they have ended up so perfectly matched in size and evenly spaced?  I didn't count the drops, but there were quite a few!  I can't think of an explanation for this.  I didn't shake the bottle, the bottle was unopened and just where I left it.   Strange!!! 

Okay, you probably think I've really lost it!  But all of these things have really happened.  I don't really believe in ghosts, but I have no explanation for any of the many strange sounds and happenings we've experienced.

How about you?  Have any strange goings on in your house?  If so, please share!  I wish someone could tell me how my foundation ended up in perfect drops on the floor!!  Very, very strange.....

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Cheryl

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    I believe indeed here in the world, there're not only us who lived.. there're also other creatures who lived beside us but can not seen by the naked eyes..
    even though they sometimes can be seen through their trail as sound...and so on...

    I also have an experience.. At the night (in my old home) I heard a sound like a roar of car from my garage, while there's nobody there coz all people were sleeping that time...

    In fact there're so many events in this world which make no sense or can't be explained...

    Thanks for sharing your experience here, Cheryl!
    above all.. I just believe in God.

    Wishing you the best!
    hugs,
    nensa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do believe you. In my first home, built in an undetermined year, but prior to 1840, we had many odd experiences. I also believe in two realms just as scripture teaches. I don't think that these unsettling things are from the godly one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl that sounds pretty dang spooky to me!!! If it is a ghost it doesn't seem to want to do any harm, just experiment with make-up and make a few creepy sounds. I don't know if I believe in ghosts....

    We have one strange thing that happens at our house. A few times a week when we are in the family room I can smell cigarette smoke just as if someone is right there smoking. We don't smoke and the previous owners didn't either. CH can smell it too but not as well as I can. We aren't close to anyone and fairly far off the road. It creeps me out. That old house you captured, fascinating. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you. I swear the house I grew up in was haunted. My best friend and I heard foot steps and things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl!

    I love ghost stories! I have had a lot of really strange experiences in my house - not just in this house but in other houses I have lived in.

    I have had the opportunity to have my grandmother near me for a whole year . . . after she died. I have also felt the presence of my father, many times. There have been many times that I could actually smell him. He was a mechanic, and always had his own "scent", he also wore Old Spice, so between the two, it was unmistakable.

    I'm not afraid of these things, it only reinforces my own beliefs about life after death...that there is life after death.

    What a fun post! The make-up story was creepy!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is a spirit in your house, she or he is obviously friendly and enjoys being around you. You might consider yourself blessed by the occasional presence of a loved one who has passed on, or someone who once lived in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl,I do believe you,all of it.The Castle has some queer goings on,mostly noises and voices,but a house we had many years ago had apparitions,seen by several people,myself included.I might do a Halloween story on the blog about it.
    Thank you for the kind get well wish you left for me while I was unwell,I appreciate it very much.
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photography is amazing. Thanks for drawing us into the conversation.

    When something happens that appears unexplainable we naturally look for ways to explain it - and when we can't we attribute it to the "mystical" side of things. We conclude that it was some unknown entity which caused the phenomena, when in actuality, we could chalk it up for mere coincidence.

    Truth is truly stranger than fiction. I love those coincidences in life because it makes me realize how fathomless possibilities are with God. I'm so limited in my comprehension of things. Why should our minds go to the "evil supernatural" when God, Who is good and much more powerful is over all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, I do believe in ghosts and I'd certainly think you have one. Fortunately, it sounds like a friendly, though messy, kind of ghost. The foundation story is strange. What would a ghost want with makeup? Trying to get noticed?

    My only ghost story is when my cousin moved into Great Uncle Alex's house after he died. He was always a grump type of guy and we were mostly scared of him. After cuz and her family moved in, things began disappearing. Lights would get turned on or off. Little things like that. He especially liked to hide car keys. They finally got to the point that when things got lost or happened, they would yell at Uncle Alex - and he would bring back whatever he took.

    I wish I could come see your ghost!
    Eventually cuz moved and she no longer had any problems.

    ReplyDelete