Saturday, September 27, 2014

Of Blogging and An Anniversary



Today is a special day as it happens to have been 5 years ago that I began blogging.  How has 5 years gone by so swiftly?  I want to share a few of the things I have learned about blogging during those years.

First of all, throw out the so-called rules that many bloggers offer in order to have the "right" blog.  This is not to say that certain guidelines aren't good to follow.  Many are, but most of what "they" think makes for a great blog is just their idea. You should follow your own heart and do what you enjoy.  Maybe you like lots of photos.  Or maybe photography isn't your thing and you don't have many to share.  I say whatever works best for you is what you should do.  Ditto backgrounds and headers.  Some say all white backgrounds are best, while others say use some color.  Headers or banners that only have your blog name and not much else are preferred by many now, but some of us prefer to make our own using our photos.  Do what you like.  Not what you think "they" want.  Be creative.  That is part of the fun of blogging to me.  I can be as creative or not as much as I like.  I'm the owner, publisher, writer and photographer all rolled into one.  

I've read more than once that taking blog breaks is a no-no.  Maybe it is if you are depending on a certain income from your blog.  But for most of us who just blog for our own enjoyment, there is certainly nothing wrong with taking blog breaks.  After all, real life should come before your blog and there will be times when a break is necessary.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Your real blog friends will be there when you get back.   Blogging should be fun.  Take a break when it ceases to be fun or when you are super busy.  Don't wear yourself out by burning the candle at both ends to keep up with blogging. 

There are a couple of other things that I would suggest in regard to blogging.  The first one is to turn off Word Verification if you have it on.  Many bloggers will not comment if you have it.  The second is to blog about whatever you want to.  Mix it up.  For example, if you are into decorating, great!  Most of us love to see pretty homes, but if you want to take a side trip down memory lane or share a day trip with us or talk about the price of groceries, please do so!  Personally, I prefer blogs that are what I call real.

Being real doesn't mean divulging what city you live in or your full name, unless you choose to do so.  Many of us don't get too personal in our blog writing since we try to maintain a bit of privacy if our family requests that we do so.  But it's perfectly okay to express your feelings, as I did the other day about losing a beloved relative.  And that brings me to my thoughts about how wonderful bloggers are and much I appreciate and love all of you who have been my blog friends over the last 5 years.  You have encouraged me, comforted me and cheered me on.  Thank you!  And, special thanks to each of you for the nice comments you left in my last post.   

One more thing before I end this wordy post.  I will be sharing some photos of our new purchase as soon as I have time to edit them.  This house needs a lot of work and I will welcome advice and so I will try to get those photos up soon!  We are doing as much of the work ourselves that we can.  That is the only way my darling, but sometimes stubborn hubby operates.  He is a real DIYer, for sure.  

Thank you again for being with me for the past few years!  I plan to continue blogging, but the break will be extended a bit longer.    

Happy Saturday to you and Happy Blogging!
xo Cheryl

35 comments:

  1. have a good break, please keep in touch. have a lovely fall. big big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Blogoversary too, keep celebrating, mine is coming up in October. ( :

      Delete
  2. happy 5 years! i agree on following your own style or posting about what YOU like, not what you think others will react to. and i also agree about not revealing actual location and full name and keeping some privacy. and i'm all about no word ver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with every word you said.. and when a blogger takes a break, i am always waiting to see when they pop up.. but i use feedly that warns me. today i read a blog that said she took a break and now no one comes around. in a case like that, i suggest to visit all your favorite blogs and comment and that lets you know they are back. they might miss a post if they don't use a feed to see it when it pops up..
    can't wait to see the new purchase and i love giving advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info! The "real" blogs are the only ones I go back to over and over. Over formulated blogs truly bore. Congrats on 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Oops! Lost a comment because I forgot to "sign-in." That's what happens when I've been out of the loop.)

    Warm congrats on five wonderful years of blogging🎈 I am so glad that I've been along for much of it.,

    You said this so well and I am in total agreement. Enjoy your continued blogging break. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh...an experiment gone horribly wrong. LOL! The first double box is a wee red balloon and the final one is a sunflower.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your blog anniversary. Keep on posting and sharing. I would add my 'Amen' to your post. Be yourself,be real and say what is on your heart. Looking forward to staying in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I will say, AMEN to all you wrote. Congratulation on 5 years blogging. For me, I like mixing up my blogs, for me that is more interesting and realIy never quite know what I may be blogging about. Have as much of a break as you need and I look forward to your return and your posts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!!! I have only been blogging about a year longer than you. And you are RIGHT ON with all your suggestions!!! It is frustrating to find someone who still have the word verification! And it is YOUR blog, do what you want. I think we ALL need breaks or else it becomes like a job with no more joy in it. We can burn out and need time for inspiration and to refresh ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree Cheryl...I have stopped reading some blogs because they used to be fun and then the person decided it would be a job for them and the whole atmosphere of the blog changed. I just enjoy reading about real people in all parts of the country and how they live their everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said, Cheryl and I completely agree with your thoughts on blogging. I've always been a fan of the "real life" blogs. These big over-the-top blogs wear me out and those ads that pop up all over the place drive me nuts. That, of course, is just my opinion and what I really like about blogging is that there is room for all of us. What appeals to one may not appeal to another.
    I hope you enjoy your break and return when the time is right for you. Congratulations on 5 years of blogging. I am so glad to have discovered you. Your beautiful photography is something I really enjoy, not to mention your sweet personality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT tips for bloggers. Congratulations on 5 years. That is an accomplishment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 5th Blogaversary! I totally agree with you on most points! It's easiest for me to put lots of pics up! Love the headers with photos (like yours...I love it!)

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are still blogging. I started to see decorating ideas and maybe do some crafting...but it just turned to life and living it. I am so glad to have met so many wonderful people doing it. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy blogging anniversary! You are absolutely right about word verification; it's a pain! I don't follow any blogging rules at all. I know there are folks who do, though, and I wonder why they think blogging can't simply be fun. Yes, follow your heart and write what speaks to you. I always do that. Have a most blessed rest of the day, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 5th blogging anniversary! I think I am close to that; I need to look into that. I have always loved to read your blog. You do a lot of different things and I love your photos. I do think that it is good to take a break once in a while because family and life has to take priority. The thing I really love about blogging is the friends I feel I have made in the blogging world; and you are one of my favorite.
    I will look forward to the pictures of your repairing and other projects with your home you purchased. It will be fun to watch the work in progress.
    Blessings for your fun blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogaversary. Five years goes fast doesn't it? It has been that long for me also.
    You make some very valid blog points. To paraphrase Leslie Gore's 1965 song, "It's my blog and I'll blog what I want to." I take breaks all the time and sure enough, when I come back, most everyone returns.
    I know you are busy now and hope you are taking pictures for when you return of your progress. Don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your anniversary! Am anxious to see what you do with the new place.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on five years, Cheryl!! I agree with you 100% about everything you said about blogging. I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing more when you get ready!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on five years of blogging, so happy we meet. I love your blog, enjoy reading and the pictures you post Cheryl. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time does slip away very quickly. Congrats on the 5 years. I feel the same way about blogging. I have no goals so I do what I feel like doing.

    I will be looking forward to seeing the new purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, I concur! I've never been one to follow the rules anyway. Congrats on 5 years. More kitty pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on FIVE years of blogging!! You have made some really great points here and I so agree! I'm a day by day-r. I write what is in my thoughts....wouldn't have it any other way. Not having a huge number of comments used to bother me...but not anymore!!
    Blessings, sweet friend..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wise, wise words. I have begun to take a break here and there, though only for a few days at a time. I've always enjoyed your blog and your wonderful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on five years! Well done! I am anxious to see the photos of the fixer upper:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy your break. I'll be here when you get back. Looking forward to LOTS of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your 5 years Cheryl! I love visiting here and always will. Enjoy your break and the new purchase. You are so right about real life coming before your blog but you say it so much better than I could.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Bloggiversery, Cheryl! I "ditto" everything you said! I couldn't have put it any better myself...the so-called "rules" can really be a stress producer. That is not what blogging should be about!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. happy blog-o-versary!!! great post and can't wait to see the pics!! hurry back!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very good advice! Happy blogoversary and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on the Blogiversary, that's great. And you have written a wonderful post full of good advice.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy blogging anniversary, Cheryl! I like what you've said here. I've got to get back to blogging!
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Chery.. I am sorry to read about your aunt and uncle. I feel it was a blessing to them to pass away so close together, as to not be alone.
    I know you will miss them, and one day you will have a blessed and happy reunion with them.

    Happy blog anniversary, and you've got some great hints here.
    Wishing you the best of luck with your renovations on your little house, and sending hugs to you and praying that you are comforted in this time of loss.

    {{hugs}}
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy blogiversary! I need to put mine in my calendar cause I never think of it on that actual day...always have to go look and see just what day I started on when I see a post like this.

    ReplyDelete