Thursday, April 5, 2018

Catching Up


The days have flown since my last post and so I have a little catching up to do.  

We took several days off in March and went to Branson for my birthday and also to look for spring, which has been slow to arrive here. 

The very first day of spring, we drove out of our condo parking lot and found the beautiful Bradford Pear Maples in full bloom!


The weather was nice for the most part, although a little on the chilly side.  Speaking of chilly, it was 21 degrees this morning.  Our grass is growing fast but I'm glad the redbud trees haven't bloomed here yet with these low temps.


Our son was able to join us in Branson and the lake shots were taken by him.  While the men were watching the basketball games most afternoons, I visited as many flea markets as I could find in the area.  We would all go out for a yummy dinner at the end of the day.  Saltgrass is one of our new favorite places to eat.

I think I visited 6 flea markets one day, including the one in the photo above in Branson West.  The name of the shop escapes me, but I had seen it many times but never went in until this trip.

This shop wasn't very appealing from the outside, which teaches me not to judge the outer appearance.  The inside was very nice.  Is there a message in this somewhere?  :)   

I spotted the marshmallow tin and had to check out the price because I have one just like it.  Whew, that seems a tad high to me.  If I ever get a booth of my own going, it will be hard to know how to price my things. 

Did you see the can cans or petticoats hanging above the checkout counter?  If you're of a certain age, you may have even worn them at one time.  I remember mine were never as full as I wanted them to be and we called them can-cans.   

I think the square dancers might still wear these.  I haven't seen a square dance since my younger brother and his wife took it up when they lived in Texas many years ago.      


BG and I and our daughter, Kim, drove to Blue Springs to meet our son for dinner last Saturday.  I'm glad we didn't try to meet on Easter Sunday because we ended up getting some snow in the afternoon.  

We stopped in Odessa, a little town near KC, and found some interesting little shops there.  My favorite was the Silver Fox.  

My old college friend and roommate, Lynda, was from Odessa and she tells me she reads my blog.  So a shout-out to Lynda is in order.  Hi there...I loved visiting your old home town!  Of course, it looks much different now than it did way back then.  :)  
  

It's a small world...while we were browsing around in this shop, we spotted a woman we knew from our area.  She said she and her husband were on their way to the airport in KC to pick up her daughter and stopped off in Odessa to shop.  


I have been on the go since we returned from Branson.  I have too many projects started and none finished.  There are stacks of magazines on the table right now that I'm going through and putting in bundles.  I noticed a lot of vendors had them in their booths.

I haven't been blogging regularly for quite awhile, so I've pondered, yet again...about stopping.  But I just can't give it all up just yet.  

That said, I know that I will be taking more frequent and possibly longer breaks while I try to get a handle on these projects that both BG and I want to get done.  Also, the Booth Project is a real possibility and I'm working on that as well.  Everything except time seems to move at a snail's pace when one gets older.    

I want to thank all of you who have been wonderful blog friends through the 9 years that I've been blogging.  I do hope that blogging will continue even though I've seen many friends drop out.  It does take a lot of time and that is where I am at now.  

So, for now, I'll just say...take care, stay well and I'll see you when I see you!  It may be tomorrow, or next week, or next month or....

Love,
Cheryl

14 comments:

  1. Oh MY! We have been friends for so long, and so many people have left, I just hate it! But just post whenever you can, you do not have to quit completely! I adore flea market shopping, but even I am shocked by the price of the marshmallow can! We called those fluffy petticoats "crinolines". The bigger the better! But I never measured up, somehow mine were always lumpy! Take care my friend, and do what you must...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always fun to know that you have visited Branson again. Seems as if you might need a flea market companion while the men watch sports. 😉 Cute shops you have shown and described. Having just sold the final bits at John’s place for a pittance, I don’t know how lucrative a flea market might be. I’ll have to send you a link behind the scenes of our local flea.

    Enjoy spring once it arrives...terribly tardy everywhere, I think.

    Blog when you feel like it and don’t fret about how often that is. That’s the way to continue doing something you enjoy. Besides, blogs are like having an extra brain. How would we know when we did what without them? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing of your travels and shopping. I like that statement, "Everything except time seems to move at a snail's pace when one gets older." That is so true!
    My thoughts on blogging...
    -blog when you can
    -take time to do what you need to do..
    We will leave the light on for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything except time seems to move at a snail's pace when one gets older. A truer statement was never make. Where does it go? Six flea markets in one day, that sounds like so much fun.
    Have a sweet week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy my visits with you, Cheryl and I hope you plan to continue blogging, at your own pace, of course. Every time I read about your visits to Branson, it makes me want to go there all the more...hubby and I talk about going there often. It will be a closer drive for us after we get to TN so we may just as well wait. Yes, I remember the can-can slips and could find several photos of me wearing one! Those were the days, right? I wish you well on all of those projects you have lined up. I have a few of my own and I probably have no business blogging either...lol! Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you keep blogging--at your own pace for there are no hard and fast blogging rules. Luckily, we can make our own. You really made a trip of it to Branson and had fun visiting all the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures. Enjoy each day, indeed,each moment.Time moves quickly so we must cherish the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed you vacation pictures, Cheryl. I've never been near Branson, so I appreciate always hearing a bit about it.

    I get you on taking a break and giving it up all together. I feel selfish asking you to stay. It's a personal decision. I've gone, and without intention, to posting once per week or 2 weeks. That's jut the way my life is now. Who knows? I may start doing 2 posts a week, or 6, as I did back in 2014!

    Whatever you choose to do, I'm here and I will always hold you close as a friend and blogging buddy!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like you had some good times. plus all those store visits give you a better idea what to do with your stuff. i know what you mean about blogging. i used to be doing mine once a week. now i'm down to once or twice a month. do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a wonderful time was had by all and that is a lot of flea markets in one town.. i do love to wander in antique stores and jog old memories... like Ginny said blog when you can... we are still here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl, I get that time-crunch thing and the slowing-down-as-one-gets-older thing. I also get the always-catching-up thing and the do-I-have-time-to-blog thing. Yep. All of that. Also like you, I keep on blogging here and there and commenting here and there, knowing that I'd miss it if I didn't.

    Opening a booth sounds exciting! Keep us posted on that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like others have commented before, Cheryl, enjoyed reading your travels and thrift store visits, even if no take-homes this tume, just looking is fun, And, I also know what you mean about blogging as it can be time consuming not onky to write your own posts but to read others, especially hard every day. I too wrestke with stopping or starting over and for now just keep going along at my own pace, which is what we should all do. Good luck with your future plans and will keep on checking back here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the two photos your son took. I enjoy your trips to Branson. The flea markets sound fun. I haven't been to one for a very long time. I do love the anique stores and I haven't been there either. I need to go more often. I love just looking around and then every once in a while there is a purchase. I love your outings with your children. The food photo looked yummy.
    I have been thinking about what to do with my blog too. I only post about every two weeks so I can't slow down much more than that without just giving up. I love to blog and read blogs but time is slipping by and I am behind on many things.
    I will probably take it to prayer and see how I am directed.
    I will always follow you for as long as you keep going. You are a favorite! Blessings and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cheryl, I am another one who hasn't blogged much lately... Like you, I just can't find the time nor interest these days... BUT--I do love blogging and hopefully, will never stop completely. I do miss you and others when I don't blog...

    Happy BELATED Birthday... I know how much you enjoy Branson... Sounds like you had a great time.

    Spring really took a 'spring vacation' from us this year.. Our April was colder than our February... GADS... Poor flowers have really struggled this spring. Actually, this week is the first week that I can say that it finally FEELS like spring... Today may be more like Summer since it's 81 here right now... Maybe we'll just go from winter to summer this year... ha

    Please keep in touch...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete