Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello Deer (or Hello Dear)


It's Missouri's firearm season for deer starting on November 14-24.  My hubby and son have gone many times in the past, but not this year.  My son lives and works out of state and wasn't able to come in for it this year.  They have gotten some doe and a small buck or two in years past, but the buck with the huge rack has remained elusive.  We don't believe in killing animals just for sport, so we have always taken the meat in to be processed.   We enjoy the steaks and sausage.
 

I took the picture above last winter of a few down by our pond.  They especially like to show up in summer after our garden starts growing!  I used to think they were pretty neat to watch, but not so much after last December.

"Hello Dear!  Well, um, uh...I don't know how to tell you this but I'm sitting on the side of the road and my car is smoking.  A deer just ran out in front of me...he was running fast and I just didn't have time to stop."  That was the message I gave my hubby that night.  I was driving home from work on a drizzly, cold and dark  night and this huge buck with that huge rack everyone wants comes barreling onto the highway from the right.
 
It happened so quickly, I really didn't have much time to react except to think..."I hope he doesn't come through the windshield."  He did several thousand dollars worth of damage to my car, but I wasn't hurt and that is the main thing.  Here is the picture of my car:


We've all heard of these accidents happening with the deer population being as heavy as it is, at least in my part of the world.  Some of these accidents are very serious, even deadly and not just for the deer.

Please be careful driving during this season while the deer are moving more.  

Until next time...        

No comments:

Post a Comment